My June 2021 review against plan is as follows:
- Edit chapter 9 and draft introduction for book one. Begin writing book two. I’ve drafted 10 of the 12 chapters of book one and started chapter 11. I’ve drafted the introduction of book two, and did some useful thinking about how the two books are and should stay completely different.
- At least 1000 words of new nature writing, over and above my book chapters. Yes, delivered a commissioned article of 1400 words which was a real pleasure to research and write, and was really chuffed when the commissioning editor said that I’d really understood the brief, written fluently and struck a good tone too.
- At least 2 pitches for feature articles to magazines. I pitched four feature ideas this month, but haven’t yet heard back as yet. I also entered for the Freelance Writer of the Year awards, in the new freelance writer and newsletter categories. I wasn’t successful in getting long-listed for the awards but found the process of applying really helpful in thinking about what I’m trying to achieve. Next year!
- 1000 Twitter followers (up from 911) It’s in the right direction but only 945 as of today.
- 80 followers for this blog (up from 73) It’s in the right direction but only 76 as of today.
- Botany learning plan to support creative writing: I’ve been working hard on improving my grasses and sedges id skills and have done some survey practice.
- Writing residency – I had a great time with Chantelle Lindsay delivering an online nature-writing workshop and we had really positive feedback. I haven’t yet launched the online nature-writing support forum, but I did get some really helpful advice from my pal and forum expert Jane Adams so I’m making some changes before launching.
- Regulars – blog posts and a nature-writing newsletter. Yes done.
My July 2021 plan is as follows:
- Finish chapter 11 and draft introduction for book one, and draft chapters 1-5 for book two.
- At least 1000 words of new nature writing, over and above my book chapters.
- At least 2 pitches for feature articles to magazines.
- 1000 Twitter followers (up from 945)
- 80 followers for this blog (up from 76)
- Botany learning plan to support creative writing: Final preparations for my exam on 15th July.
- Writing residency – Publish the anthology of submissions for The Nature of Light Workshop. And, no excuses…finally launch the online nature-writing forum. Begin planning for August online workshop.
- Regulars – blog posts and a nature-writing newsletter